The Africa Health Research Institute/UCL PhD Studentship is funded by University College London’s Global Engagement Office. This opportunity will provide potential students with funding to register for a PhD at UCL. It is open to applicants who permanently reside in South Africa.
The PhD research must be in the field of Medical Sciences and/or Population Health. This covers everything from single molecules through to cells and tissues to whole organisms and animal and human populations for improved human health and wellbeing worldwide.
Students would be expected to spend most of their time in South Africa, conducting their research at Africa Health Research Institute (AHRI). While in London, students will be expected to attend seminars, postgraduate club meetings and other UCL doctoral students’ events.
Eligibility and conditions
• Be domiciled in South Africa at the time of application.
• Hold a letter of recommendation from a proposed supervisor at UCL.
• Be working with AHRI already or hold an approved letter of support to complete a PhD at AHRI.
• Be willing to stay in London for up to one year during their PhD studies. This time can be split into two periods of six months if required.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
The PhD Studentship will fund:
• All fees for a three-year doctorate at UCL
• Two round-trip economy air fares to and from SA to UK
• Support for reasonable London living costs for up to one year
• UCL Bench fees
• Support for Durban living costs for two years
How to apply:
Please complete the AHRI/UCL PhD Studentship Application form in detail and upload the following documents:
- A letter of recommendation from your supervisor at AHRI.
- A letter of recommendation from your proposed supervisor at UCL.
- Copies of your academic qualifications and certificates.
Application deadline is 5pm Thursday, 30 April 2020.
For further information, please contact Aruna Sevakram via email@example.com with ‘AHRI/UCL PhD Studentship” in the subject header.
*Photo: AHRI’s Durban and Somkhele Research Campuses